It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let’s talk about power
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Let’s talk about Power

Power is an athletes best friend, Google defines it as “to move or travel with great force or speed”. This is how everything on the field should be performed but you may not have all of the power that you desire or need. If you feel like you could use a boost in power don’t worry, we can fix that. A football player must learn to get into triple (or quadruple) extension as quick as possible, this is the extension of ankles, knees, and hips; picture someone jumping that moment right before they leave the ground when the hips are forward, knees are locked out, and they are on their tip toes is triple extension. This applies to all of our actions on the field i.e. getting off the ball, sprinting, tackling, etc… So how do we get better at this you might ask? Many people choose to use the Olympic lifts, which I personally love, but these are very technical and can ugly if you aren’t coached through them well. Don’t worry I have a simple variation of these that I learned from my mentor coach Dos that we hang our hat on with any and every one of our athletes that we train. It is the jump shrug, it has all the benefits of explosive power and takes away the sloppy catches that can be found in hang cleans and snatches. Using the jump shrug allows for greater intensity in lift (meaning you can load it more than other Olympic lifts) which allows for greater power production.

Below I have instructions of how to perform this lift!

1. Get into a good hang position; feet shoulder width with the bar right above your knees. Back should be flat and it should look like you are looking out a window (hinged over) not squatting down.

Attachment:
power 1.jpg
power 1.jpg [ 56.53 KiB | Viewed 3917 times ]

2. From the hang position jump as high as possible and at the top of the jump try to touch your shoulders to your ears.
Attachment:
Powe 2.jpg
Powe 2.jpg [ 56.49 KiB | Viewed 3917 times ]

3. From the hang position jump as high as possible and at the top of the jump try to touch your shoulders to your ears.
Attachment:
power 3.jpg
power 3.jpg [ 147.43 KiB | Viewed 3917 times ]